Morrell Building #50 Fact Sheet:
(from Topeka Journal, Dec. 31, 1940)
--Built in 1940
--7 stories in height with basement.120 x
100 feet in area.
--Construction: Floors and roof are of rein---forced
concrete, all exterior walls of pressed brick, trimmed with pre cast stone.
Cold storage section insulated with cork board and finished with glazed tile.
All inside walls are faced with glazed tile and work rooms are well lighted
by windows and glass brick.
--Seventh floor devoted to Red Heart dog food.
--Sixth floor, lard refining.
--Fifth floor, canning and cooking.
--Forth floor, sausage cooking and smoking.
--Third floor, sausage manufacturing.
--Second floor, storage and packing.
--First floor, assembly and shipping.
--Basement, curing and dry salt departments.
--Refrigeration areas are provided on each
--Two elevators are installed, one large one
for freight and one of the cage type.
--Built by Spencer: The general contractor
was F.M. Spencer & Son, Plumbing and heating by Sheahan & Degan, electric
work by Overton Electric Company, neon sign by Chubb Sign Service. The architect
was the Henschlien, Everds & Crombie firm of Chicago.
The Morrell Plant was open to the general
public 5-days per week and a regular schedule was maintained to show visitors
thru the plant.
Robert M. Othwaite was general manager,
Henry T. Quinn, sales manager and assistant manager; J.V. Snyder was super--intendent,
assisted by J.H. Lockwood and C. E. McDonald; Ellwood L. Johnson was chief
engineer. A staff of 12 United States Inspectors, headed by Dr. C.E. Henderson
was at the Morrell plant. They were employed by the department of agri--culture,
bureau of animal industry.